Enjoy this flavorful dish of chicken, apricots, and couscous. It has a wonderful blend of sweet and earthy flavours that take me back to helping my mom in the kitchen as a little girl.
Family Chicken Tagine Recipe
I am so excited to share this recipe with you! This delicious dish was a childhood favourite of mine that my mom always used to make it. Cooking it brought back all those memories of my mom, and I am happy to share this dish with my children. I hope you enjoy it!
1 3/4 lbs chicken thighs
1/2 cup dried apricots
3 tbs olive oil
2 tbs flour (I used gluten-free)
1 1/4 cup chicken broth
2 tbs tomato paste
2 tbs preserved lemon paste (recommended) or lemon juice
1 to 2 tbs Ras el Hanout or (cumin, paprika, ginger, saffron)
2 tsp Za’atar
Salt and pepper
Couscous (follow instructions- real couscous takes hours and has to be cooked in couscoussier)
01. Wash chicken (I like to put lemon juice and salt, let it sit for 2 minutes and rinse). Pat dry and add garlic powder and a little salt and pepper to the chicken and sprinkle flour all over the thighs.
02. Thinly slice the onion and cut the apricots into little pieces. In a bowl, add chicken broth and seasoning and mix.
03. Heat up olive oil to medium heat, slightly brown onions, and add chicken. Let the skin get a little brown (don’t forget to scrape the flavor), and then add apricots, tomato paste, and preserved lemon paste.
04. Once browned and ready for liquid, pour in the seasoned broth. Now let it simmer until the sauce is a little thicker, rotate the chicken and scrape the bottom of the Dutch oven here and there.
05. Prepare couscous, the secret is a bit of olive oil, adding boiling water as the same volume of couscous. Let two pieces of butter melt on top and cover for a few minutes, and then gently scrape with a fork – never use a spoon! Cover again for at least 10 minutes. Serve and enjoy!
Thanks for Reading!
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as my family and I do. Let me know you know what you think in the comments below!
Read all about 3 Things I Did After Bringing Home My Newborn Baby on my blog.